A career paths can take many twists and turns as you master one role and move on to another. Stepping up the ladder and getting that so-called promotion creates a pathway for the advancement of an employee’s current rank and a step further in the hierarchical structure in the workplace.
“People don’t get promoted for doing their jobs really well, they get promoted by demonstrating their potential to do more.” – Tara Jaye Frank
Here are some things that you can do to help increase your chances:
Give More Value
Every employer wants their employees to contribute to the value of the company, so making a conscious effort to add value is one of the best ways to get promoted at work.
Pay Attention to People who have been Promoted
Take a closer look at some of the people in your company who have received a promotion in recent years. Look for common personality traits, achievements, and habits among those who have successfully been promoted. These observations may give you a better understanding of what you need to do to get a promotion yourself.
Ask for Feedback from your Supervisor
If you want to know exactly what it takes to get a promotion, you can probably find out from your manager or employer. Try these steps to get valuable feedback on your performance:
- Present your case for promotion to your supervisor as professionally as possible.
- Create a list of your job responsibilities, achievements, and the skills and experience you have acquired.
- Show how your work has benefited the operations of the company, preferably with numbers or specific examples.
- Express your desire to advance your career.
- Be clear and straightforward about your intention by asking questions such as “Will I get a promotion this year?” and “How can I get promoted to manager?”
- Be as specific as you can when asking, and follow your supervisor’s suggestions to increase your chances of a promotion.
Get Noticed in your Workplace
Working hard is important, efforts may go unnoticed if you never put yourself in a visible position. Show your employer why you deserve a promotion, you need to be noticed for your contributions to the company.
Demonstrate your Leadership Skills
As you move to higher positions, you will need to continually improve your leadership skills. The following tips can help you be promoted to a leadership role:
- Become a role model for your coworkers and gain their respect through your work performance.
- Whenever an opportunity arises, show your supervisor that you can lead and motivate your team members.
- Perform exceedingly well in every project, which will make you indispensable to the company and a prime candidate for promotion.
- Build on certain qualities that improve your effectiveness as a leader.
Identify and Solve Problems
Look around the office for things that are impeding productivity, generating unnecessary costs, undermining workplace safety, or preventing the company from achieving its goals. If you decide to take the initiative in areas where your company may be weak, you may have an advantage over other candidates for a promotion.
Become a Positive Presence in your Workplace
Staying calm and positive under pressure is one of the most essential qualities of a good leader. By keeping your mind clear and focused at all times, you can deliver consistent results and minimize your chances of making mistakes.
Maintain a Strong Work Ethic
At some point, you may seek a promotion — and the increased earnings and responsibility that typically come along with it. However, most of the time, promotion is unlikely to just fall into your lap without some effort. The things we do creates an image of who we actually are as a person, our bosses sometimes judge these things and can be the very exact reason why we get promoted.