The Philippines has surpassed the 9,000 COVID-19 case mark – coronavirus continues to spread amid lockdown measures.
The Philippines has now surpassed the 9,000 COVID-19 cases mark after the Department of Health (DOH) has reported 295 new cases in the country. After all the social distancing and lockdown measures imposed by the government, the virus continues to escalate and kill many people.
Most of the new COVID-19 cases were recorded in Central Visayas which registered 120 new cases in the province. 116 of these came from Cebu alone. Metro Manila follows with 116 new cases, 82 of which are still under observation.
Late April when President Rodrigo Duterte announced the extension of Enhanced Community Quarantine “ECQ” to some high-risk areas. Provinces with high new recorded cases were included in the extension of ECQ.
According to DOH, 103,692 people had been tested for COVID-19 as of Friday. Results say that 89.1 percent of whom tested negative while the 8.07 percent were positive. The Department of Works and Highways said that the Philippines would be able to conduct 32,000 tests daily by next week.
In a press conference on Sunday, May 4, Health Undersecretary Rosette Vergeire said that new cases also come with 90 recoveries and 4 deaths. The Philippines has so far recorded 9,223 COVID-19 cases including 1,214 recoveries and 607 fatalities.