google+ featured image
News Technology

Google+ to shut down earlier than planned because of a new bug

Google+ discovered another bug leaking personal information of its users leading them to shut down the platform earlier than planned.

On Monday, Dec. 10, the Web giant Google said they discover a new bug which may have exposed personal information about its 52.5 million Google+ users. Google also announced earlier this year that another bug was discovered affecting user’s data.

Google launched Google+ in 2011 with the intention of competing with the Tech giant Facebook but eventually failed with the attempt and now is shutting down the software.

David Thacker, G Suite VP of Product Management, said in his blog that the bug may have allowed app developers to access certain “not-public” information about the users and apps with access to a user’s Google+ profile data and also had access to the profile data that had been shared with the consenting user by another Google+ user, but that was not shared publicly.

But Google said the breach did not give developers access to private information like financial data, national identification numbers, passwords, or similar data typically used for fraud or identity theft.

Google+ will shut down in April 2019 which is four months earlier than planned. It will also sunset all Google+ APIs within 90 days. Google will still offer private version of the service that caters to businesses that still uses the software.

ASEAN HR TECH VENTURE SUMMIT 2018
REGISTER NOW 33% DISCOUNT
SUMMIT PASS

Send this to a friend