“We are not operating under normal battle conditions. We are operating in a crisis. Kaya sabi ko, for the FDA and ‘yung kay Boy, Secretary sa DOST, mag-doble sila ng tao. And the FDA, pati ‘yung mga laboratories ng DOST, Boy, they must — your offices must run 24 hours,” President Duterte said.
[“I told FDA and DOST led by Secretary Boy (Dela Peña) to double their personnel. The FDA and the DOST laboratories, your offices must run 24 hours.”]
In his address, he also approves both departments to hire more medical and healthcare professionals to battle the pandemic.
“I have authorized, itong both na opisina, yung FDA and DOST, to employ as much as many required para magmadalian and to enable the agencies to work day and night. Sabi ko we are fighting a war here,” said Duterte in a late Monday night address,” the president added.
[“ I have authorized both offices of FDA and DOST to employ as much as many required, so they can work faster and enable both agencies to work day and night. I said we are fighting a war here.”]
The Department of Health (DOH) previously issued that they are planning to hire at least 8,000 health workers to add to the manpower in health facilities and quarantine sites.
With this, President Duterte said, “So magdagdag kayo ng maraming medtech o yung mga kaga-graduate na doktor na naghihintay pa lang ng results [ng board exam], or anybody from the health services, if you want to give your services, volunteer.”
[“So you hire more medical technologists or fresh graduate doctors who are still waiting for the board exam results, or anybody from the health services, if you want to give your services, volunteer.”]
In response to the President’s message, DOST Fortunato de la Peña said, “Gusto rin talaga naming mapabilis ang completion ng aming projects na tugon sa COVID-19 at sa mga iba pang epidemiya na maaring dumating sa hinaharap.”
[“We really want to speed up the completion of our projects that can be used in the response against COVID-19 and other future epidemics.”]
DOH has so far recorded 7,777 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Philippines, including 511 fatalities and 932 recoveries.