Also known as talent acquisition software or hiring software, recruiting software refers to any program, application or tool used in the hiring process. In recent years, a wide range of software solutions has been developed specifically for recruiters, hiring teams and managers. An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) is one such example.
As business softwares become more advanced, recruitment personnel find that these systems can take over the extent of their daily work. Where they may have wasted time, energy and resources on browsing through resumes or filling in applicant data using legacy systems in the past, these functions can all be automated now.
However, not every recruiting software works the same way. Choosing the right one is crucial if you want to save money and improve on your hiring procedure.
What Should You Look for in a Recruiting Software?
Keep the following factors in mind when you’re looking for recruitment software:
- Features: Understand what you need and choose an Applicant Tracking System(ATS) that offers the right functionality and features. Common features include automatic job posting, resume collection from emails, resume uploading, interview scheduling, tracking candidate progress, SMS/email alerts, etc.Some systems may include tools for collaborative hiring, reporting and analytics, or social connectivity with sites such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Decide what’s important for you and choose accordingly.
- Integration: Most companies and recruitment agencies use different platforms for internal and external communication, job advertisement and other tasks. Integration with existing HR software, social recruiting tools, mobile applications and the company’s career page is a very important aspect to consider. New software purchased should aimlessly integrate with what you already have in place, for a smoother and quicker transition, as well as greater flexibility during your daily operations.
- User-Friendliness: You don’t want to waste time trying to figure out different features or fighting with the system when you want to get something done. Ideally, recruiting software should not require a long training period or extensive technical know-how before you can start using it. Many recruiting tools offer a free trial period, where you can become familiar with various features. This is a great way to explore new software, so use it well!
- Support: Even with the most user-friendly software, you will need help from time to time. Poor or slow-to-respond support could cause expensive delays in the recruitment process, increasing time to hire and keep your team from fulfilling their objectives. Whether it’s a training program to introduce recruiters to a new system or troubleshooting an issue, the Applicant Tracking System(ATS) provider should offer timely and effective support.
- Cloud-Based: With traditional or in-house systems, you would normally have to buy servers and other hardware in addition to the software itself. Then, there’s the cost of hiring trained IT personnel to set up the system and keep it running. With web-based or cloud-based systems, you don’t have to spend large sums of money on IT infrastructure, maintenance and support. They can also be accessed remotely using a phone, tablet or laptop, so recruiters can work on the go.
- Cost: Using recruitment software allows you to trim off extra expenses, whether in terms of a large hiring team or a fully-equipped physical location. Still, that doesn’t mean you buy the first system you find.
Take your time to explore various options available, make the most of free trials if they’re offered and choose an Applicant Tracking System(ATS) that offers the best value for your money. Also, consider using SaaS-based software that works on a subscription.
The use of specialised software for talent acquisition is one of the fastest growing and most popular recruiting trends, especially since mobile application technology has evolved to such an exciting degree. Speed up hiring and enjoy many other benefits with a system that helps you at every stage, and you will never go back to the old ways!